- A team player who is comfortable working remotely on a small effective team
- A flexible and collaborative self-starter, able to manage multiple deadlines, tasks and ad hoc requests
- Eager to make a difference; curious to learn about this rare disease and its tight-knit global community’s needs, wants, fears, hopes, and dreams
- Creative and bursting with ideas for how to best represent our content and messaging to our patient community, who are desperately seeking answers, the medical community, and donors, across all communication channels
- Adept at soliciting and incorporating multiple levels of feedback to produce content aligned with organizational goals
Professional Experience/ Qualifications
- Proficiency in Google Business Suite
- Bachelor’s degree in marketing, journalism, PR, or relevant field
- 5+ years of experience in a social media, public relations, communications or digital marketing role
- 1+ year managing one or more social media profiles for a private or nonprofit organization (preferably in the category of patient advocacy, health and/or research), and collaboratively managing a content calendar
- Strong understanding of current online marketing concepts, social media trends, strategy and best practices for posting across multiple platforms
- Strategic, professional approach to short-term and long-term communications planning and management; ability to see the larger mission and goals in even the small details
- Excellent writing, editing, and communication skills with a high comfort level with topics related to health, cancer, science, patient advocacy, clinical trials, and the pharmaceutical industry
- Experience in drafting press releases or blog posts for a nonprofit organization
- Ability to include strategic, mission-driven thought into all written and designed public-facing content
- Strong, creative graphic design skills (as well as proficiency in Adobe Creative Suite, Canva, etc.) with the ability to adhere to brand guidelines
- Experience managing website content, including updating pages, creating pages, and posting timely content to the blog/newsroom in WordPress (bonus skills include experience managing WordPress, theme and plugin updates)
- Video editing and design expertise for various platforms
- Some experience with a social media scheduling tool (e.g., Loomly, etc.) and/or the scheduling tools of social platforms (e.g., Facebook Business Manager tools)
- Deep familiarity with the back end of social media platforms, specifically Facebook and Instagram; includes ad creation/management, fundraising tools, and troubleshooting/ticket submission
- Experience with understanding and gathering social media metrics for simple quarterly reports for the team
- Strategic email marketing experience through Constant Contact, including writing for and designing graphics for regular email marketing efforts; analyzing relevant data and creating reports as needed; managing contact lists and segmenting
- Comfort and experience with promoting a major annual event (experience promoting a hybrid event, in particular, is a plus)
- Photography and videography skills preferred
- Prior work at a patient advocacy organization is a significant plus
Duties and Responsibilities
- Work closely and collaborate with the Development Director and Operations Director to support organizational goals, ensure consistency in external voice, and maintain an engaged social media, website and email audience
- Work with the team to identify content ideas, and manage and populate the organization’s social media content calendar to plan content multiple weeks and months in advance
- Ensure style and messaging consistency, and equal information dissemination, across communications channels
- Create content (written, graphic, video) for social media posts and campaigns across all social platforms, including Facebook, LinkedIn, Twitter, and Instagram, with our community and target audiences always front of mind
- Develop and deploy paid advertising, including Facebook and Google Ads
- In conjunction with the development department, manage Facebook fundraisers and capitalize on annual fundraising goals via Facebook peer-to-peer fundraising
- Manage internal review process of content and plan for external review as needed (e.g., external IRBs)
- Adapt content and compose original content for blogs
- Draft press releases for the organization as needed
- Design, market, and promote creative and engaging awareness, educational and fundraising-focused campaigns around major days of note, organization and partner events, DTRF Desmoid Tumor Awareness Month, annual DTRF Weekend, DTRF Running for Answers, year-end fundraising, and more
- Creation and management of patient stories (and photos/videos) database
- Updating website content, including updating pages, creating pages, and posting to the blog/newsroom in WordPress
- Creating and sizing graphics and embedding video on the website
- Create and adapt content for and manage Foundation’s email marketing, including the bi-monthly newsletter, monthly physicians newsletter, and ad hoc blasts (via Constant Contact).
- Be a key player in helping the Foundation expand email marketing efforts
- Manage video library, edit video as needed and include proper branding for multiple platforms (including Vimeo), with captions
- Create original videos from existing or new footage
Location and Hours
- This is a 40-hour week full-time position Monday through Friday, and a rare weekend (including DTRF’s Annual Weekend which typically occurs in September).
- Depending on your time zone, there may be occasional “after 5pm ET” meetings to attend.
- DTRF is a 100% virtual grassroots organization and all team members work remotely from anywhere in the US.
Salary and Benefits
- The salary starts at $60,000 and is commensurate with experience. There will be opportunity for advancement.
- An additional $5,000 toward obtaining your own health insurance coverage.
Time off includes:
- All Federal holidays.
- 4 weeks of PTO (including one week fixed during the Christmas holidays when we’re closed). Up to one week of the flexible PTO can be rolled over from year to year.
- 10 days of sick leave.
To apply, submit the following materials:
- Your cover letter emphasizing why you would like to work for a rare disease foundation
- Your resume
- Please email your applications to firstname.lastname@example.org. Applications without cover letters will not be considered.